Students Participate in Peaceful Protests

Pictured+above+is+one+of+many+messages+of+support+written+in+sidewalk+chalk.+

Pictured above is one of many messages of support written in sidewalk chalk.

Breanna Lurvey, Opinion Editor

Growing up one should be taught to fight for what they believe in, and that’s exactly what these students did. On Saturday June 6th, a movement of racial equality and police reform made its way into the small town of Fort Atkinson and the lives of its high school students. 

The protest took place at well known Barrie park, students and adults alike marched themselves around the block and park, voices of justice could be heard as well as passersby honking their horns in support from blocks away. “Today felt very productive, we proved that we won’t stand for racism in this community… I know I have the ability to express that so I will do it,”  says Carson Heussner, a Fort Atkinson High junior. While Fort Atkinson is a small town, it’s students and citizens aren’t afraid to stand up for what’s right.

On not only that day but many to follow the sun shined brightly on the park where the protest and march happened, the support painted on the sidewalks in chalk and home made signs clinging to the fence surrounding the playground brought color and unity to the once familiar place. “The reason I came here today was to stand up for what is right,” Heussner says. While the protests that happened closer to home may not have been as publicized as others across the country, or even state, that doesn’t mean that the impact that they had is any smaller. 

Pictured above is just a small portion of the protestors who marched their way around Barrie Park.

Racial Equality has always been an issue for America, but Police Reform is something that’s in the people’s spotlight now more than ever. Another student to speak up about the topic was senior, Charlie Dittbenner, “Being a student during the protest is a very polarizing experience… This isn’t something we can ignore and it’s not something anybody should ignore,” Dittbenner continues, “These are very important issues and to be presented to them at such a young age and being more informed than most, because we are in a school setting,  is such a strange experience and honestly an obligation to have to do something. We all have to do something to make a bit of a difference.” There’s inequality in American society based on something as simple as the color of one’s skin, and the students from FAHS who attended the protest in their town want nothing more than to equal out the playing field. 

Dittbenner perfectly reflects the message of his community,  “I’m not the people in question, I’m torn on wanting to be a kid, and wanting to change the world, and that’s basically where I think a lot of people are at.” The Black Lives Matter movement is a fire that burns strong in the hearts of Gen Z and many others along with them. Race should never make a person deemed more or less valuable to society. The protest at Barrie park only goes to show that there are people in our community who aren’t afraid to speak out against oppression.