Rain or Shine, They Run the Race

Fort Atkinson High School Cross Country

Always seen in her long socks and sunglasses, Senior Jada Zorn gives a thumbs up to her fans. Picture Credit: Brenda Reed

Kaitlyn Burke, Sports Editor

Among the people who make up the student body at the Fort Atkinson High School, there are few who take on the challenge of running for fun. However, those that do, play a crucial role on the cross country team, helping them succeed; something the cross country team is notorious for. 

9 long weeks of sprinting hills, jogging across town, and running laps around the track has steered the cross country team to yet another amazing season. The girls team took first place at the Ladish Invitational in East Troy, having 4 out of their 5 runners place in the top 12. Boys team took 3rd the same day. 

“It’s a long, hard process to be successful in this sport,” says senior, varsity runner, Jada Zorn. “It’s so easy to want to give up after you’re not seeing the results you want. That’s when you have to click into your mental game and find the motivation to keep going.” 

Top boy runner who also made a state appearance, Ben Stricker, keeps a steady pace along a straight away on the Watertown course. Picture credit: Brenda Reed 

It’s true. Cross country is a serious mental game. Being able to push through 3.1 miles of pain is an almost impossible thing to accomplish, but members of this team have seemed to have mastered it almost perfectly. 

Freshman and state meet competitor, Mary Worden, makes her move near the end of the Watertown Invite. Picture Credit: Brenda Reed

Freshman Mary Worden, and sophomore Ben Stricker are headed to the WIAA state cross country meet in Wisconsin Rapids on October 30th. Being 4th and 5th individuals in their sectional races earned both runners a well deserved spot in this meet.

“I’m really excited to get this opportunity,” says Worden, “I’ve worked really hard and I’m ready to end my season on a strong note.” Both runners did extremely well at the state meet, Worden getting in the 30’s and Stricker getting in the 100’s. 

Fort Cross Country ended with an awesome season. Seniors will be missed greatly, 3 out of the top 5 scoring girls being seniors, and one of the top 5 boys. However, the group is excited to begin preparing for next year’s season, and anticipating what it has to offer.