Always in Our Mind, Forever in Our Hearts

Palacios-Perez Family Fundraiser Concert

Shown above is the poster made for the charity concert with the time and date of the concert and the link to the live stream.

After the loss of student Bryan Palacios-Perez the Music Department chose to honor him and his contribution to the Performing Arts with a fundraiser to raise money for the Palacios-Perez family. 

“It was successful in paying tribute to Bryan. It raised an impactful amount of money for Bryan’s family. It gave Bryan’s family an event where they could remember Bryan in a positive light. It brought our school and community together to make a difference for a family that is in need,” says SDFA Orchestra teacher, Mr. Callaway. 

Wanting to create something special for the Palacios-Perez family during this hard time a team worked together to put together a concert fundraiser. 

“It was successful in paying tribute to Bryan. It raised an impactful amount of money for Bryan’s family. It gave Bryan’s family an event where they could remember Bryan in a positive light.””

— William Callaway

“The concert took about a month to organize. Students did most of the organizing including creating promotional material (Elee Sharp created the poster), distributing promotional material, hanging up a banner in the commons, etc. Students also organized the music for the event. Teachers helped with the logistics of getting the fundraiser set up, reserving the auditorium, inviting people to the event, etc,” says Mr. Callaway. The performers selected their own music except for the song at the end, “Remember Me” from the movie Coco.

The Music For Brian Concert was a way for many students to come together to raise money for the Palacios-Perez family in an artistic way. There were many performances throughout the night from high school students of all ages. 

High school junior, Spencer Whitcomb, was among the many student performers. He played both “For the Star of County Down,” a folk song arranged by Deborah Baker Monday with an orchestra ensemble as well as the second movement of the Pathetique Sonata by Beethoven as a piano solo. He states, “I really enjoyed being on stage again. Being able to perform again was exhilarating.” 

Many students have not been able to perform on stage for an audience in many months, so it was a privilege for them to be able to start off fresh while supporting a cause that means so much to the music department, school district, and community. 

“There was a very serious atmosphere among the students. Everyone took it very seriously because we all wanted it to go well,” says junior Spencer Whitcomb. All of the students that participated in this concert took it very seriously and put in immense effort to make it a successful concert. This concert was one to remember for not only those who performed but those who were immersed in the joy that music has to offer and celebrate the life of a beloved member of the Fort Atkinson community.