Leaving Their Mark

Fort Atkinson High School Softball

June 2, 2021

As the sun peeks from behind the clouds and the birds flock back to local ponds, the nine forsaken spots are conquered once again on the softball diamonds at Fort Atkinson High School. With the sweet signs of springtime signaling the close to another school year, many young women of our student body will include themselves in one last sports season by participating in Fort Atkinson High School Softball. Two teams, JV and Varsity, are exhilarated to be receiving a season after the 2 years that were stripped of high school softball. 

The girls are settling into a busy schedule, playing up to three games a week and practicing around this as well. Many players, like senior second baseman, Christa Sebranek, believe it has been more difficult than usual trying to settle into such a divergent year. 

The late start to the season is definitely weird, but it’s not that bad. I think we’re just making the best out of the season we’re getting,” says Sebranek. 

As the teams begin playing games and getting a feel for each other’s abilities, an obvious strength emits from their game. The strength has many fans baffled, due to the diversity in the team’s age. 

Although there are six seniors, the rest of the team is fairly young.  A decent portion of the team is made up of freshmen and sophomores, which will be good for future years,” says senior catcher, Angela Unate. The program’s future is bright. Having a wide variety of players that differ in age not only helps the program now but later as well.

The varsity softball team shows resilience; however, it has cut them short more times than once. At the beginning of the season, they started off strong with multiple wins and few losses. Having beaten Edgewood, Watertown, Milton, and Stoughton at the start of the season, a conference championship was beginning to look like an achievable goal. However, they fell short in both games against Monona Grove, losing both by 1 run. They returned a few days later to play Monroe. Coming into the game with a yearning to split with Monroe (having lost to them in a season opener by 2 runs in extra innings), they got just what they wished for. They had a one run win against the Cheesemakers; doing it all in the top of the 7th. Their next game was also a close one. The Milton Redhawks beat our varsity team by 1, and unfortunately, the Blackhawks would add another loss to their record. 

Even though the season hasn’t been one they may have wished for, they have been battling with every team, and each player has gotten to show fans of the Blackhawks what they’re made of. Senior Kiara Kostroski has had an incredible season at shortstop, and at the plate. Senior Angela Unate proves to be one of the best catchers in the conference, and her freshman sister, Sofia, may just follow in her footsteps in future seasons. Regionals for this talented group of softball players will begin very soon, and the varsity team will continue to prepare themselves for a competitive series of upcoming games.

“Although there are six seniors, the rest of the team is fairly young. A decent portion of the team is made up of freshmen and sophomores, which will be good for future years,””

— Angela Unate

The Signal • Copyright 2022 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in